It’s hard to put Mark Nepo in a box, but then again that’s true for anyone. Among a myriad of other attributes, Mark is a poet, philosopher, teacher and New York Times bestselling author. If you like the quotes below, you’ll probably fall in love with his most recent book. I keep a copy of The Book of Awakening in my office and in my home, because it’s one of those books that’s a comfort to have near to you. I hope these quotes are of some comfort, too.
1. No amount of thinking can stop thinking.
2. In release, we begin.
3. The flower doesn’t dream of the bee, it blossoms and the bee comes.
4. Live your worries through,
and your spirit will wake from its fever,
and you will want others like soup.
5. Keep the colors wet.
6. We are so unused to emotion that we mistake any depth of feeling for sadness, any sense of the unknown for fear, and any sense of peace for boredom.
7. Repetition is not failure. Ask the waves, ask the leaves, ask the wind.
8. If you try to comprehend air before breathing it, you will die.
9. The pain was necessary to know the truth, but we don’t have to keep the pain alive to keep the truth alive.
10. No matter where we dig or climb, we come upon the fire we left untended.